• Skeet Starr, Sports Editor

Fast Break Sports Report Feb. 6

Graphic by Carolyn Vazquez

Hello, Bearcat Fan! I didn’t see you come in. I’d love to chat about that recent thing that happened to you, but unfortunately I have to write my column. Please get out of my dorm and let’s go to the news!

Women’s Basketball cracked first in the conference with only four games left before the championship tournament. However a narrow escape from a bitter Pacific Lutheran side (72-70) and a surprise defeat at the hands of fifth-place Linfield (71-78) this week showed that the ‘Cats are still walking a treacherous path toward conference dreams. 

Men’s Basketball thrashed the Lutes (82-70) but also failed to execute in their derby matchup against the Wildcats (76-89). They are hanging onto their playoff spot by the skin of their teeth. Each basketball team will face Pacific at home tonight. 

Field and Track set off on spring 2024’s maiden voyage at the George Fox Invitational. Usual suspect Whitley Stepp (‘26) took second in the high jump, and the Willamette athletics site reports that she has overtaken the national No. 7 spot. Newcomer Mason McMillin (‘27) took second in the 60m hurdles. 

Swim is heading to the conference championship tournament this week. 

In the world of sport: New Timbers head coach Phil Neville is bringing his son Harvey on as a trialist. Oh, and the Super Bowl and whatnot.  

Consider in the coming weeks: I’m heading to the store. Do you want anything?