Willamette University announces incoming chaplain

Kathleen Forrest

Editor-in-Chief

Willamette University announced today that Rev. Ineda Adesanya will become the next university chaplain and director of religious and spiritual life. Adesanya will officially assume the role on August 1st, following the departure of current Chaplain Karen Wood in late July.

Photo provided by Ineda Adesanya

Adesanya received her Masters in Divinity from San Francisco Theology Seminary, with a particular focus on Women’s Studies. She has done her doctoral work at the Graduate Theological Union, a consortium of multiple theological schools and organizations. Adesanya has experience both as a campus pastor and an academic, and since 2017 has been a Pastoral Counselor at California Lutheran University, as well as teaching there.

The university chose Adesanya from a pool of over sixty applicants, according to Rachel Urner (‘22), a student representative on the hiring committee. “We wanted someone who could provide strong, present pastoral care to students across the university and in the graduate schools, as well as faculty and staff... As well as someone who would advocate for students in higher levels of the university. Who could hold their own in discussions with faculty, and ideally someone who could also teach,” said Urner. With these things in mind, the committee unanimously supported Adesanya for the position. “I’m really excited about her! I think that she is going to shape the position in important ways, and she will be able to step into Karen’s shoes and come into that space," said Urner.

Economics professor vents at class, quits job

Chrissy Ewald Staff writer Students in Econ 454 The Next System were shocked when their professor berated them for laziness and announced by email he was leaving the school, one week before the end of

Collegian senior spotlight: grads on variety of paths

Jesse Buck Lifestyles editor Mary Wang How long have you worked for the Collegian and in what positions? This past year was my first and only year working at the Collegian as the Production Manager. W