• Anushka Srivastav, Media Editor

Uncertainty Principle band plays at house show

Maxwell Fontaine (‘24). Photo by Anushka Srivastav

Five friends embarked on a unique journey that combined their academic pursuits with a passion for music. Meet John Campi (‘24), Aiden Dopson (‘25), Maxwell Fontaine (‘24), Joaquin Ocaña (‘24) and Lou Babik (‘24), the members of the Uncertainty Principle Band.

The group initially went by the name "Putnam," an inside joke resulting from Campi's humor. However, they later adopted the name Uncertainty Principle, which is a scientific principle that states, “We cannot know both the position and momentum of a particle.”

Lou Babik (‘24). Photo by Anushka Srivastav

Their musical journey began in October 2022 when Fontaine, Ocaña and Babik decided they needed Campi's bass skills. The band was born, but what started as a casual jamming session soon morphed into something more. The missing piece to their puzzle, a singer, was found in Dopson. Nervous but encouraged by his bandmates, Dopson became part of the Uncertainty Principle. Their debut at the Bistro, while far from perfect, marked the start of their musical odyssey.

Joaquin Ocaña (‘24). Photo by Anushka Srivastav

As Dopson put it, "We can only get better," and the band cites their unwavering belief in their potential motivated them to push forward. The turning point for Uncertainty Principle was their show in February 2023 in their garage. As the first note played, the crowd's enthusiasm marked a pivotal moment that transformed everything. Dopson described that experience as being on "cloud nine" — an electrifying feeling that came with their first official performance. It wasn't just the thrill of performing, though; it was the shared experience of creating music with their friends that made it truly special for the band.

On Oct. 27 of this year, as Halloweekend kicked off, the group rocked the stage and had a blast. The crowd was filled with fellow Willamette students who sang along with them. Uncertainty Principle stated that they feel more confident with each show and believe their experience is making them better performers, all while enjoying the love and support of their audience.

John Campi (‘24). Photo by Emma Honberger

The group shared, “Our band is located in Salem, Oregon, but we have no idea where our music will take us. In turn, we’re hoping to gain momentum as time goes on, but we have no idea where that’ll take us. We’re very excited.”

Aiden Dopson (‘25). Photo by Anushka Srivastav

John Campi (‘24). Photo by Anushka Srivastav

Uncertainty Principle. Photo by Anushka Srivastav