Abbas Hill hired as new Dean of Students for Community Care and Inclusion

Updated: Oct 22, 2021

Emma Innes

Staff writer

Willamette University [announced] Monday that Abbas Hill has been hired as the new Dean of Students for Community Care and Inclusion, and will start July 1. Hill was the fifth candidate for the position, and answered questions at a public [forum] as part of the interview process last month.

According to the announcement by Willamette’s marketing and communications team, Hill will oversee equity and inclusion initiatives, including supporting undocumented and first generation students. Hill will oversee student leaders in the Office of Multicultural Affairs, the Gender Resource Advocacy Center (GRAC), as well as residence life and housing. Hill will also deal with religious life and student conduct. Other responsibilities include deputy Title IX coordinator and Chair of the Care Team, which works to help students in need of personal or academic support.

The announcement describes Hill as “kind and compassionate, deeply caring about students with a goal to be a resource for staff and students.” He was the associate dean of student life and director of residence life at [Rogers Williams University]. The announcement points out Hill’s past experience at [Central Michigan University], working with students to organize “multicultural excursions” to establishments such as the Holocaust Memorial Center. Hill’s own experience as a first generation student is emphasized in the announcement, having played a role in inspiring him throughout his career to help students.