Campus Safety report: Oct. 12-18

Campus Safety Report

October 12-18 2020

Provided by Ross Stout.

Alarm, Fire, Unintentional

October 14, 7:05 p.m. (Lee House): Campus Safety was notified of a fire alarm activated in the building. An officer responded and found significant smoke in the kitchen area caused by cooking oil and no active fire. The building was then ventilated with fans to help clear out the smoke. The Salem Fire Department was not needed and a report was filed.

Criminal Mischief

October 17, 10:23 a.m. (University Services Building): Campus Safety received a call reporting a found broken window. A report was made and Maintenance assisted in temporarily repairing the window.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

October 12, 4:50 p.m. (Quad): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual on campus without a mask on. An officer responded and located the individual. The individual was informed that the campus is closed and was escorted off campus.

October 14, 9:52 a.m. (Law School): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered an individual without a mask on. The individual was informed that the campus is closed and was escorted off campus.

October 14, 9:54 a.m. (Museum of Art): Campus Safety received a call reporting an unknown individual entering the building. Officers responded and the individual was removed from the building.

October 14, 10:18 a.m. (Winter Street): Campus Safety received a call reporting an altercation between a pedestrian and driver. Officers responded and met with both parties.

October 15, 10:37 a.m. (Museum of Art): Campus Safety received a call reporting an unknown individual entering the building. Officers responded and the individual was removed from the building.

October 16, 11:46 a.m. (Botanical Gardens): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual sleeping in the area. An officer responded and found the individual and they were asked to relocate off campus.

October 16, 12:11 p.m. (Jackson Plaza): Campus Safety received a call from a student reporting an individual without a mask on. An officer responded and made contact with the individual was informed that the campus is closed and they then left campus.

October 16, 3:29 p.m. (Mill Street): While on patrol, an officer encountered an individual pushing a shopping cart passing through campus. The individual was informed that the campus is closed to visitors and they were asked to leave campus.

October 16, 2:15 p.m. (University Center): Campus Safety received a call from a student reporting two individuals on campus without masks on. An officer responded and met with the individuals and were informed that the campus is closed to visitors and that masks are required on campus. The individuals then left campus.

October 17, 10:00 p.m. (University Center): While on patrol, an officer encountered an unknown individual charging their phone. The individual was informed that the campus is closed to visitors and they promptly left campus.

October 18, 11:15 a.m. (Goudy Commons): Campus Safety received a call from Bon Appetit staff reporting an unknown individual in the restroom. An officer responded and the individual was informed that the campus is closed to visitors. The individual was escorted off campus.

October 18, 5:00 p.m. (Collins Science): Campus Safety received a call reporting five individuals on campus without masks on. An officer responded and met with the group and informed them that the campus is closed to visitors and of the campus mask policy. The group then left campus.

Theft

October 12, 11:00 a.m. (Doney Hall): Campus Safety received a call from a student reporting their bicycle tire had been stolen while it was locked up on the bike rack. A report was filed.

Trespass / Attempted Theft

October 15, 2:32 p.m. (University Center): Campus Safety encountered a bike theft in progress while monitoring the UC cameras. Officers responded and the Mail Center was also contacted to assist in thwarting the theft. The individual was startled and fled when Mail Center employees checked on the bike rack. Campus Safety was able to find the individual after they fled in the Sparks Lot. The Salem Police Department was contacted. The individual was trespassed from campus and their bolt cutters were confiscated.