Campus Safety Report Oct. 21-27

Provided by Ross Stout

Director of Campus Safety

The Campus Safety Report is published as it's received, without edits by Collegian staff.

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Criminal Mischief

October 23, 8:05 a.m. (Ford Hall): A Campus Safety officer observed an individual writing on the glass panels on the side of Ford with what appeared to be a permanent marker. The officer made contact with the individual, who was not a member of the Willamette community, and asked them to leave the premises. The individual complied and left Willamette property. The officer attempted to wipe off the markings from the panels, but found that the individual had in fact used a permanent marker. A work order was placed for the removal of the markings.

Emergency Medical Aid

October 23, 2022, 7:01 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): A student called Campus Safety to request medical aid for another student who appeared to be under the influence of a substance. A Campus Safety officer responded and made contact with the student on the stairs of their residence hall. The student refused medical aid and the officer escorted them back to their room.

Safety Violation

October 21, 2022, 10:38 p.m. (Montag Center): Campus Safety received a call that students had been seen sitting in the hole in the wall inside the bathroom on the first floor of Montag. Officers responded to the scene and found the hole in the wall to be much larger than the last time it was inspected. The students appeared to have left the area.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

October 22, 2022, 5:22 p.m. (University Center): Campus Safety received a call that three individuals on skateboards were jumping the stairs leading to the University Center. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and the individuals began to ride away. The individuals also proceeded to taunt the officer, used foul language, and threatened to break a car mirror as they passed. The officer ordered them to leave the premises and they eventually complied.

October 23, 2022, 9:43 a.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): After receiving a report about an individual yelling and acting strangely, a Campus Safety officer responded to the Matthews Parking lot and escorted the individual off the premises. The officer later encountered the same individual sitting on a picnic bench near the Mudd building. The individual was once again escorted off property.

October 24, 2022, 9:37 a.m. (Parking Booth): An individual approached the parking booth and asked to use the phone. A Campus Safety officer responded to the scene and reported that the individual was refusing to leave the property. While on hold with the Salem Police Department, the individual stated that they were experiencing a crisis and that they were going to walk to the Hospital.

October 25, 2022, 10:19 a.m. (University Center): Campus Safety received a report that the individual who entered the Bistro on multiple occasions was back on campus near the University Center. An officer asked the individual to leave campus. The individual was then seen on the security cameras pushing a shopping cart near the Quad. Campus Safety received another call about the individual from an employee who stated they had asked the individual to leave the property and that the individual had cursed at them and walked away. The officer encountered the individual near the Rogers building and observed them until they were no longer on campus.

October 26, 2022, 12:12 p.m. (Law School): Campus Safety received a report that a student was feeling dizzy and laying on the floor near Rick’s Cafe. The student stated they did not need to be escorted to the hospital as someone was one the way to pick them up. A Campus Safety officer remained on scene until the student’s ride arrived.

October 26, 2022, 1:58 p.m. (Olin Science): Campus Safety received a call that an individual unaffiliated with the Willamette community entered the Olin Science building and was preaching about / soliciting their religion. A Campus Safety officer arrived search the building and the surrounding area, was unable to locate the individual.

Theft

October 26, 2022, 8:45 p.m. (Atkinson Annex): A Campus Safety officer encountered an individual behind the University Services Building carrying around a road sign pole and a backpack. The officer followed the individual behind the Law School and asked them to leave the premises. The individual also had two bikes with them, and when the officer questioned them about the bikes the individual rode away off campus. The officer subsequently noticed a damaged bike rack at the scene. Shortly thereafter, the officer received a phone call from a Willamette employee reporting that their bicycle and bike rack had been stolen. The employee stated they already called the police to file a report.

Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle

October 25, 2022, 2:00 p.m. (Sparks Center): Campus Safety received a report that a student had returned from a weekend trip to find that their car had been stolen from the Sparks parking lot. An officer responded to take a report on the stolen vehicle. The student will be contacting Salem Police to file a police report.

Vehicle Accident / Hit and Run

October 27, 2022, 11:28 a.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): A student called Campus Safety to report that the front bumper of their vehicle had been scratched by someone while it was parked in the Matthews parking lot. The individual stated that the person responsible for the damage did not leave a note.