Fast Break Sports Feb. 13

Skeet Starr

Sports Editor

Art by Minna Zhou

YEAAAHHHHH SPORTS. Let’s go to the news!

Women’s Lacrosse is a non-contact sport, but that won’t stop the Eastern Oregon Mountaineers from feeling the pain after the Bearcats defeated them (17-2) in their season opener on Friday. The Willamette squad will head to Corban on Wednesday to keep the pain train rolling.

Women’s Basketball missed out on a victory over Pacific by a single basket, but went on to defeat Pacific Lutheran the following day. This weekend’s results allow the Bearcats to hold on to their #4 playoff spot as they take on #2 Whitman and #6 Whitworth this weekend in Washington.

Baseball won another series 2-1 in California, this time against the Sagehens of Pomona-Pitzer. They haven’t gone Hollywood on us, however, and will return to Salem this weekend for a showdown with Pacific.

Swim’s men and women were both sitting at sixth place heading into the final day of the conference championships. As results make their way in for Sunday, Bearcat fans can find joy in the fact that Cole Lindberg (‘25) set a new University record in the 100 yard butterfly!

Softball responded well to last week’s losses against Eastern, winning three of four over the weekend, falling only to Bushnell, who they cleared out 8-0 in game two. Next weekend and into next week they will head to Texas, where (allegedly) things are bigger, to take on Southwestern and Concordia.

Men’s Basketball picked up two more losses against Pacific and Pacific Lutheran. They will head to the Whits this weekend to close out their season. “Forward, the Light Brigade!” and so on.

On Saturday Whitely Step (‘26) brought in another first place victory in the high jump at Whitworth’s Track and Field meet. Oliver Anderson (‘’23) claimed a first place spot as well in the triple jump.

Consider in the coming weeks: Can women’s basketball win the conference, and will Willamette accept the fabled return of print journalism?