ASWU Executive Election: Meet the Candidates!

Bios and pictures were provided to The Collegian by ASWU Vice President Angel Park. The bios were not edited by The Collegian.

President

Oakley Phoenix

My name is Oakley “Oak” Phoenix (they/he/she) ‘23. It’s nice to meet you! I’m a Black, neurodivergent, queer, gender non-conforming student, writer, and advocate. I’m a Women’s & Gender Studies and Studio Art double major, minoring in English and Sociology. I also work with The Collegian, GRAC, OMA, and Dance Co.

I’ve been all over the map on campus, and I’ve somehow now found my way onto this ballot. Why?

1) I want to be a visible resource for other marginalized students in a way that impacts more people. I drop Gcal invites onto plenty of underrepresented student and staff calendars to get to know them better, and I’d love to make the value of those conversations travel further than the local coffee shops. I’ll vocalize our needs directly to the Board of Trustees and to Administration – if I’m voted into accessing the rooms that students are usually barred from.

2) I want to help students feel better about being here. It’s no secret that the past few years have been rough, and I want to do everything I can so that younger students, along with the students in my year, can be excited to come onto campus, and I’ll work with every interested student to learn what change they’re seeking and how I can help.

All that said, please consider voting me as your 2022-2023 ASWU President!

Jack Randall

My name is Jack Randall and my pronouns are He/They. I'm running for ASWU President. I've been on ASWU for a bit, working as both a senator and a justice. I would like for ASWU to be more transparent about how it benefits students as well as help foster clearer communication between student wants and admin.

Vice President

Ian Curtis

Hi Willamette, my name is Ian Curtis (he/him pronouns are great). For those of you who don't know me yet, I have spent the last three years working to make this campus better for the next generation of Willamette students. During my time here, I have helped write and am now working to implement the university's climate action plan. I have also created a better team environment as a leader of our cross-country and track and field programs, aided students developing equity and sustainability projects on campus as a part of CAFES, and supported first-year students as a Resident Advisor. As your ASWU Vice President, I will provide the same leadership, support, and dedication to restore trust in ASWU and ensure accountability from our administration. If elected, I will oversee transparent elections and work to mend the broken fabric among divided students on campus. We have a long way to go, but I believe that with your help, these ambitious goals are within reach. I welcome your questions and feedback at <imcurtis> and on Instagram at @iannncurtis.

Treasurer

Brice Hoerauf

Hello my fellow students, my name is Brice Hoerauf and I am a first year student at Willamette and I have faithfully served on the Finance/Club Approval Board for two terms now. I want to be ASWU Treasurer because I believe that what really makes our community great is the amount of involvement and engagement that we have seen from its student-run organizations. Events such as Black tie and Dia de los Muertos really show what we mean by our motto, Non nobis solum nati sumus. Not unto ourselves alone are we born, all of the organizations on our campus really do cherish and understand what it means to be inclusive and celebrate even the littlest things. That is what I want to do, I want to ensure that the resources that are needed to keep our community going are available for the long-term. I want to see our community become one that truly cares about every single one of its members and is able to express themselves in any way they seem fit. Thank you and vote for me as your next ASWU Treasurer

• White Facebook Icon