Campus Safety Report Jan. 27- Feb. 9

Provided by Campus Safety

The Campus Safety report is published as received, without edits by Collegian staff

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Alarm

February 5, 2023, 1:00 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call from an Area Coordinator stating that there was a smoke alarm going off in a campus residence. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and determined that the fire alarm had gone off due to a student cooking. The officer reset the fire panel and re-secured the smoke detector that the student had disconnected. The student was asked not to disconnect the smoke alarm in the future.

Emergency Medical Aid

February 5, 2023, 12:52 a.m. (In a Campus Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a call from a student stating that their friend was having a seizure on the ground outside of their vehicle. The Campus Safety officer contacted the WEMS supervisor and 911 for medical assistance. The officer arrived on scene and found the individual laying on the ground. Paramedics arrived on sight and placed the individual into an ambulance and transported them to the ER.

Possession of a Controlled Substance

January 27, 2023, 6:30 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): A heavy smell of marijuana inside one of the campus residences was reported to Campus Safety. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and entered the room after no response of any resident inside. Upon entry, the officer knocked on the residents’ bedroom door, and made contact with the student inside who apologized for not hearing them as they had their headphones on. The officer advised the student that they needed to check the residence due to a marijuana smell being reported. The student opened a drawer and gave the office an electronic cannabis pen, which was confiscated and placed into an evidence locker.

Suspicious Activity

January 27, 2023, 4:22 p.m. (Montag Center): Campus Safety received a report that there had been an attempted break-in to the Montag bike shop. Campus Safety arrived on scene and determined that no entry was made, but observed that the exterior door to the bike shop had visible damage / signs of attempted entry. Repair to the door was requested, and camera footage will be reviewed for suspicious activity.

January 29, 2023, 11:18 a.m. (Mill St.): A student called Campus Safety to report that someone had thrown eggs at both their vehicle and one other vehicle parked on Mill Street. Photos of the egged vehicles were taken.

February 1, 2023, 10:39 a.m. (Off Campus): A Campus Safety officer discovered a trash can on fire on the sidewalk near the Willamette Heritage Center. Contractors working on campus were able to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher, but Salem Fire was called as the trash can was still smoldering. Salem Fire arrived on scene and the fire was extinguished completely.

February 2, 2023, 07:48 a.m. (Oak Street Properties): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer observed a large tent inside the fenced area at the Oak St properties. Non-emergency Salem PD was contacted to request assistance in clearing the encampment and occupants.

February 6, 2023, 10:19 a.m. (Hallie Ford Museum of Art): A student called Campus Safety to report that they had let someone into the Hallie Ford Museum that did not appear to be coherent. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and located the individual, who left the premises as requested.

February 8, 2023, 10:59 a.m. (Sparks Center): An employee called to report that an individual had been pulling on doors at the Sparks Center, attempting to gain access to the building. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and located the individual near the Botanical Gardens. The individual admitted to trying pulling on the building doors but stated they did not get inside. The individual left the premises as requested.

Theft

February 1, 2023, 1:48 p.m. (Baxter Hall): A student reported to Campus Safety that two of their bicycle tires had been stolen off their bike sometime over Winter Break while being stored in the Baxter bike storage. A Campus Safety officer met with the student to file a report on the incident.

February 1, 2023, 1:50 p.m. (Olin Science): A student reported to Campus Safety that their bicycle and helmet had been stolen from the bike racks between Olin and Collins. Their bike lock had not been cut, and the student’s Master Lock was found unlocked on the ground. The Campus Safety officer filed an incident report on the theft after speaking with the student.

February 2, 2023, 5:54 p.m. (Softball Field): An employee reported a burglary and theft that had occurred at the softball field. The door leading from the home dugout had been left unlocked, allowing entry to an office. Items taken included 4 softball bats, a bat tester, turf shoes, a backpack containing binders, and a bucket with change inside. The suspect was seen earlier that morning by a softball team member at a Starbucks where they had been carrying the stolen bats in their backpack. The employee also reported the theft to the Salem PD, who stated that they had located some of the stolen binders near a houseless encampment that was being cleared out.

Vandalism

January 27, 2023, 8:39 a.m. (Mahoney Building): A Campus Safety officer discovered graffiti on the North facing side of the Mahoney building. Graffiti removal was requested.

Vehicle Incident

February 4, 10:59 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): Campus Safety received a call from an employee stating that they had accidentally driven through the gate at the Kaneko parking lot. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and noted that the gate was pushed halfway in and the chain on the gate was loose. The employee reported that after they attempted to swipe their Willamette ID card to open the gate, their vehicle had lurched forward into the gate and pushed it open several feet. Photos of the gate and vehicle damage were taken. Maintenance was contacted to fix the parking gate.