Campus Safety Report Sep. 30 - Oct. 13

Provided by Ross Stout

Director of Campus Safety

The Campus Safety Report is published as received, without edits by Collegian staff

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Gas Leak

October 4, 2022, 12:20 p.m. (Baxter Hall): Campus Safety received multiple calls from students reporting that the carbon monoxide alarms were going off in Baxter Hall and that there was a gas smell inside the building. The fire alarm was activated, and Campus Safety responded to help evacuate the building. The Campus Safety officer reported a strong gas smell in the stairwell as they were evacuating students. Campus Safety sent out an emergency notification message to all Willamette community members advising of the gas leak in Baxter Hall, and to evacuate and stay clear of the building. Salem Fire responded with several fire engines and assisted in clearing the building. Gas was shut off to the building and windows and doors in the building were opened to dissipate the gas.

Criminal Mischief

September 30, 2022, 6:35 a.m. (Atkinson Parking Lot): During a patrol, a Campus Safety officer noticed a car parked in the Atkinson Annex parking area had a broken the passenger side window. The owner of the vehicle was contacted, and they subsequently filed a report with Campus Safety.

October 6, 2022, 2:40 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer found that the Kaneko bike storage had been tampered with and the lock had been broken. A bike was found outside of the storage area.

October 7, 2022, 8:13 p.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): An employee reported that their vehicle had been broken into. Campus Safety officers arrived on scene to take pictures of the vehicle. The owner of the vehicle was advised to file a police report with Salem PD.

October 9, 2022, 10:58 a.m. (University Center): An employee reported that the grill that had been sitting outside of the UC since opening days had been vandalized. It appeared that someone had tipped over the grill and spilled briquets on the ground.

Emergency Medical Aide

October 1, 2022, 11:17 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): A student called Campus Safety to report that another student had passed out in the hallway of a campus residence. Officers responded to the scene and requested emergency services. The student was transported to the ER via ambulance at 11:56 p.m.

October 1, 2022, 11:34 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): A student called Campus Safety to report that another student had fallen out of a chair onto their face, and was currently vomiting blood. Campus Safety responded with WEMS and met the paramedics. The student was transported to the ER.

October 1, 2022, 11:45 p.m. (Waller Hall): A student reported that an individual was passed out on the sidewalk outside of Waller Hall. The student stated they had tried to wake the individual a few times with no response. Campus safety officers and WEMS arrived on scene. Campus Safety officers were able to wake the individual, who appeared to be heavily intoxicated. The individual was not a student, declined medical assistance, and left campus property.

October 2, 2022, 1:20 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): A student called Campus Safety to report that another student might have alcohol poisoning and needed assistance. Campus Safety officers and WEMS were on the way to the scene when the student called back with an update that the student in question was now sleeping in their bed and did not need medical assistance.

October 9, 2022, 6:11 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): A student called Campus Safety to report that they were experiencing a medical emergency. The student declined paramedics but requested an escort to the ER. The student stated they were experiencing heart palpitations that had awoken them from sleep. The student was transp[orted to the ER.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

September 30, 2022, 3:10 a.m. (University Services Building): On a routine patrol, Campus Safety officers observed an individual shining a flashlight into a vehicle that was parked behind the University Services Building. As officers approached the individual, they observed that the individual was carrying screwdrivers in their hand. The individual was escorted off campus property.

October 3, 2022, 1:19 a.m. (Ford Hall): Campus Safety received a phone call about an individual who had startled the cleaning crew on the east side of Ford Hall. Campus Safety officers responded and encountered an individual who had pulled 6-8 bags of trash out of the dumpster, and had scattered trash around the area. The individual ran off campus as the officers approached.

October 4, 2022, 11:02 p.m. (Grounds Building): A Campus Safety officer encountered an individual near the Grounds building looking at the equipment stored in the area. The individual was informed they were on private property and subsequently left campus.

October 5, 2022, 8:59 a.m. (University Center): A student called Campus Safety to report an individual unaffiliated with Willamette had entered the Bistro and was being loud and making students uncomfortable. The same individual had entered the Bistro a previous week and had been escorted off property. A Campus Safety officer responded and assured that the individual left campus property.

October 12, 2022, 8:32 a.m. (The Bistro): Campus Safety received several calls about an individual who was on the south side of campus and had now entered the Bisto and was harassing people and making them feel uncomfortable. Campus Safety responded and escorted the individual off the property. The responding Campus Safety officer reported that the individual involved in this incident is the same individual who they have escorted out of the Bistro on at least two other occasions. If the individual returns to campus again, they will be arrested.

Theft

October 4, 2022, 12:06 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): A student called Campus Safety to report the theft of their catalytic converter from their vehicle. The vehicle was parked in the Sparks parking lot, and the student reported that the theft most likely occurred in the few days prior. A Campus Safety officer advised the student to contact Salem Police to file a report.

October 4, 2022, 3:12 p.m. (Matthews Hall): A student called Campus Safety to report that the front and back wheels were stolen off their bike that was locked up at the bike rack in Matthews Hall.

October 5, 2022, 3:40 p.m. (University Apartments Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a call from a student reporting that their roof rack had been stolen off the roof of their vehicle. The student also reported scratches in the paint on the top of their vehicle during the theft.

October 11, 2022, 10:30 a.m. (Mill Street): A student called Campus Safety to report that their vehicle had been broken into while parked on Mill Street. There were no clear signs of entry to the vehicle. The student reported a Bluetooth speaker, various tools, and a water bottle had been stolen from the vehicle. The student was advised to call Salem PD to file a police report.