Campus Safety Report April 8 - 14

Provided by Ross Stout

Director of Campus Safety

The Campus Safety Report is published as received, without edits by Collegian staff.

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Suspicious Activity/Persons

April 8, 2022, 7:44 a.m. (YWCA Building): A Campus Safety officer made contact with an individual sleeping near the YWCA building.. The individual complied with the officer’s request and moved off the property.

April 8, 2022, 9:08 a.m. (Sparks Center): A Campus Safety officer observed an individual behind the Sparks building. The individual moved off the property as the officer approached to make contact.

April 9, 2022, 7:48 p.m. (Rogers Music Center): Campus Safety received a call that a woman and young child were acting suspiciously. A Campus Safety officer responded and escorted the individuals to their car.

April 10, 2022, 12:42 p.m. (Kaneko Commons): A caller reported two individuals attempting to set up tents along the side of Kaneko Commons. A Campus Safety officer responded, and the individuals moved off the property after contact was made.

April 10, 2022, 7:27 p.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): An individual was observed getting in a dumpster near the maintenance building. Campus Safety officers responded and the individual moved off campus.

April 11, 2022, 10:31 a.m. (Sparks Center): An employee reported an individual with a shopping cart going through trash in the dumpster between Matthews and Sparks. A Campus Safety officer responded and the individual left campus.

April 11, 2022, 12:32 p.m. (Atkinsoni GSM): An officer approached an individual sleeping in the bushes near the Mudd building. The individual moved off campus upon approach.

April 11, 2022, 1:39 p.m. (Smullin Hall): A caller from Smullin Hall reported witnessing an individual steal a bike tire. The caller reported the individual was heading toward the Pelton Theatre and Matthews Hall on a bike. Officers made contact with two adults that appeared to be scoping out the area. The individuals left the property after contact was made.Officers checked the scene and around campus for any bikes missing tires but did not find any.

April 11, 2022, 4:22 p.m. (Waller Hall): A Campus Safety officer received a call reporting a suspicious individual in front of Waller Hall. Two officers arrived and found the individual smoking in front of the fire exit doors of the building. The officers asked the individual to leave the property and they complied.

April 11, 2022, 6:40 p.m. (Kaneko Commons): An officer made contact with two individuals with a shopping cart and sleeping bag set up along the wall of Kaneko Commons. The two individuals left the property after speaking to the Campus Safety officer.

April 11, 2022, 9:28 p.m. (Sparks Center): A community member called to report knives found on the ground by the Sparks Code Blue Station. Two officers responded and the knives were confiscated.

April 13, 2022, 2:55 p.m. (Atkinson GSM): An officer observed an individual in the dumpster behind the Mudd building. The individual moved away when they saw the officer.

April 14, 2022, 7:48 a.m. (University Apartments): A caller reported an individual digging through the trash at the University Apartments. An officer was dispatched but was not able to make contact, as the individual appeared to have already left the property.

Theft

April 8, 2022, 8:51 a.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): A student called Campus Safety to report a theft of their property from the back bed of their vehicle. The student said that they had parked their truck the previous night and upon returning to their vehicle the next morning, noticed their tool box was missing. The student was advised to file a police report with Salem Police.

April 14, 2022, 9:42 a.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): A student reported that their car had been broken into and an item had been stolen. The student reported that they had either accidentally left the vehicle unlocked or the lock had been picked.