Campus Safety Report Dec. 2 - Dec. 9

Provided by Ross Stout

Director of Campus Safety

The Campus Safety report is published as it is received, without any edits by Collegian staff.

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Medical Assistance

December 3, 6:05 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): A student called requesting an escort to Salem Hospital, an officer responded to provide assistance.

December 5, 5:37 p.m. (Academic Building): A 911 call was received from an academic building and an officer and WEMs responded to the area. It was determined to have been a false alarm.

December 7, 2:07 p.m. (Academic Building): Campus Safety received a call that a student needed medical assistance. Officers responded and the student was taken to Bishop Health Center.

December 7, 6:03 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call from an Area Coordinator requesting an officer be present for a welfare check on a student. An officer responded to assist.

December 7, 6:24 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): A student called requesting an escort to campus and to have WEMs meet them on campus as they were not feeling well. An officer responded to escort the student back to campus and WEMS was dispatched to meet the student on campus.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

December 3, 11:39 p.m. (Doney Hall): An Area Coordinator called to report an individual inside the residence who was not a student. The individual claimed they were staying with someone in the building but could not remember who. The individual was escorted off-campus.

December 7, 12:01 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): Campus Safety received two calls about a possible altercation on the west side of the building by the train tracks. An officer responded but did not find anyone but stayed in the area to be sure that no one needed help.

December 7, 8:48 a.m. (Gold Parking Lot): An officer on patrol encountered an individual who was digging through trash cans and had attempted to get into the Law School. The individual was walking with a notebook so the officer requested to see the individual’s Willamette ID believing they could be a student. The individual did not want to provide any identification, claiming it was in their car. The officer watched the individual until they left campus.

December 7, 10:58 a.m. (Gatke Hall): An officer made contact with an individual who did not appear to be a student. The officer observed the individual until they left campus.

December 9, 1:10 a.m. (Southwood Hall): Campus Safety received a call that an individual was trying to open a door into the residence. An officer responded to and searched the area, but only found two students who were unaware of the situation.

December 9, 3:15 a.m. (McCulloch Stadium): An officer encountered an individual standing outside the fence. The individual had apparent blood smears on their face and cuts on their hands. When asked if they were okay the individual stated he was “just tripping” and asked the officer for a bottle of water. The officer obliged and went to get water from the patrol car and when he turned back the individual was gone. The officer searched the vicinity to find the individual and did not find them.

December 9, 3:40 a.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): An officer discovered an individual digging through the garbage. The officer asked that the individual leave campus and they complied.

December 9, 12:23 p.m. (Lausanne Hall): Campus Safety received a call about a strong canabis smell in the building. An officer responded to the scene but was unable to locate the smell in the building.

December 9, 2:31 p.m. (Belknap Hall): Campus Safety received multiple calls about an individual on campus who was yelling at students, and stating they had been “fired by the FBI.” Officers responded to the area and searched for the individual, but did not locate anyone.

December 9, 6:01 p.m. (Off-Campus): Campus Safety received a call from a student claiming they had been followed onto campus from the downtown area. The student was able to get to their residence and an officer responded to the area to search for the individual. No one matching the description of the individual was found in the area.

December 9, 10:44 p.m. (WISH House): Campus Safety received a call about flashlights being seen inside the building. An officer responded and found it was a maintenance team looking for the light switch in the building.

Attempted Theft

December 4, 2:08 p.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): A student called requesting assistance as their car was pushed up on a brick. It was determined the catalytic converter had been stolen.

December 7, 1:15 p.m. (Maintenance Building): Campus Safety received a call that someone had cut through the fence between the University Apartments and the Maintenance parking lot. An officer found also that a lock had been cut on a gate and someone tried to take the catalytic converter of one of the University’s vehicles. A chain that secures a gate leading to the green lot had been cut as well.

Campus Safety Tip: Make sure to check the Today@Willamette emails as they mention changes in hours for facilities like Goudy and Sparks Gym and when shuttles from Willamette to PDX are available.