Campus Safety Report Jan. 21-Jan.27

Provided by Ross Stout

Director of Campus Safety

The Campus Safety Report is published as it's received, without edits by Collegian staff.

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Fire Alarm

January 23, 9:33 p.m. (Lee House). A fire alarm was activated and Campus Safety responded. The source of smoke was a washing machine, which was immediately unplugged. Salem Fire arrived on the scene to confirm the source of the smoke and confirmed that it was safe to re-enter the building.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

January 21, 10:02 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): Officer’s encountered an individual who was camping on campus. The individual was asked to leave the area and complied.

January 22, 8:30 p.m. (Doney Hall): Campus Safety received a call about an individual screaming outside the residence. Officers responded but did not see or hear anyone in the area.

January 22, 5:25 p.m. (Hatfield Library): Campus Safety received a call about an individual screaming at students near the library. Officers met with Salem Police who were already looking for this same individual. Campus Safety was later informed that the individual was seen at the softball dugout. Salem Police assisted in locating the individual in the softball locker room.

January 25, 1:44 p.m. (Sparks Center): Campus Safety received calls about an individual on campus screaming at students as they pass by the area. The officer located an individual on the west side of the building and was leaving campus. The individual was seen running down the center of Bellevue and leaving their items in the street.

January 27, 4:30 p.m. (University Center): Campus Safety received a call about an individual on-campus, who did not appear to be a student, on-campus taking photos of windows and doors. Officers went to the area but did not find anyone who matched the description given of the individual.

Theft

January 24, 12:40 p.m. (Goudy Commons): A Bon Appetit employee’s bicycle was stolen when the cable lock they were using to secure it was cut.

Welfare Check

January 21, 6:03 p.m. (Residential Building): A student called requesting a welfare check on another student. The caller explained that the student had not been returning texts. Campus Safety was able to confirm that the student was on campus and was doing fine.

Campus Safety Tip: Campus Safety recommends that you check on your car at least twice a week if you keep it on-campus. There has been an increase in car part thefts, particularly for catalytic converters, on-campus. If yours is stolen, your car will be noticeably louder than usual. Also, with sudden colder weather, your tire’s air pressure may drop significantly, so make sure to check your tire’s air pressure before you drive.