ASWU Senate Election Candidates

Provided by Ian Curtis

ASWU Vice President

Compiled by Emma Innes

Editor-in-Chief

Class of 2026

Sean Olson:

Hey y'all!

I’m Sean (he/him) coming all the way from Tokyo, Japan. My goal is to create an inclusive, active community enriched with events.

Here’s some of my accomplishments:

• 200+ hour in community service

• 7+ years in camping, hiking, and scouting

• 5 years cross country and track

• Getting into Willamette :)

I LOVE outdoor activities.

To me, being active was life. I didn’t have the most Japanese looking appearance. I’ve had my troubles being treated like a gaijin (foreigner). But when I cooperated, exhausted and enjoyed outdoor activities together NONE of my differences ever mattered. The bonding and achievements we got from participating in activities… It made me feel connected and that’s how I met my best friends. I felt welcome and warm.

We’re all new here. I want to promote more diverse activities where anyone with similar interests can enjoy, unite, bond and give back to the community. Please help me on my journey!

Evyn Baker:

Hello Fellow Bearcats!. My name is Evyn W. Baker (he/him) and I’m excited to inform you that I am running to be part of the Associated Students of Willamette University (ASWU) Senate Class of 2026 Senators. I am currently a freshman pursuing a BS in Data Science. I believe in balancing the three A’s, Academics, Arts and Athletics. My message to every student here at W.U. is simple, just two words: “Get Involved.” I got involved this summer by joining Willamette University’s Jump Start Program - Service Leadership and Social Change. We learned about the art of listening, effective leadership, and service above self. I believe that my experiences in the United States Civil Air Patrol program, ASB Leadership, executive roles in National Honors Society, concerts, plays and community service have helped prepare me to take on the role as one of your Class of 2026 Senators. I am someone who is able and willing to stand up for our student body and continue traditions to ensure the necessary resources for your success here as a student. If elected into ASWU as a senator I promise to dedicate my time, experiences, and organizational skills to our Willamette University campus.

Harleen Brar:

My name is Harleen Brar, and I use she/her pronouns. I am running for the position of Senator for the Class of 2026. I am so excited to potentially become more involved as a student representative at Willamette University. Ever since I was in middle school, I have loved serving the student body and working behind the scenes to help foster a more unified and caring community. I have helped run and lead events as well as communicate with my peers to understand what they would like to see implemented. Working with the student body is something I am truly so passionate about. My goal is to serve, and be the best voice I can while continuing to grow. If I am elected, I look forward to getting to know all of you and everyone’s vision for the school year to create excitement and boost school spirit!

Alan Cohen:

Hi! My name is Alan Cohen, and I am proudly running for ASWU Senate representing the class of 2026. I was born and raised in Spain, but I recently moved to Oregon filled with excitement and motivation to get involved in my community. I am running for Senate in hopes of bringing diversity, inclusivity, and representation to the class of ‘26, as well as working hard to meet your needs and expectations on the issues that matter most. If elected, I will spend my time and resources to guarantee all students a fair and transparent ASWU representation, as well as fighting for a more sustainable campus, better working opportunities, and a more efficient resource allocation that meets students’ needs throughout their journey at Willamette. You can always trust me to make decisions that’ll impact your experience at WU, as I will always fight for the positive changes that’ll benefit all Bearcats. I am happy to hear any questions or feedback you may have at acohen@willamette.edu and kindly appreciate your support for my Senate campaign. Don’t forget to get out and vote for ASWU Senate next Thursday 8th!

Class of 2024

Lee Loftin:

Hi everyone! My name is Lee Loftin, I use he/him pronouns and I'm an environmental science major from Santa Cruz, California. While I've never been directly involved in a student government, I have both leadership experience (as both as a former executive for the Neurodivergent Student Union and as a current Colloquium Associate), and experience in having diplomatic discussions in both Ethics Bowl and Intercollegiate Debate. My main priority as an ASWU senator is to do everything I can to promote equity on campus, and ensure that all people on campus, especially those from underrepresented backgrounds, have their interests represented by ASWU. While I know very little about the nitty-gritty workings of a senate and the writing of laws, that guiding ethic motivates me to learn everything I can about this role, and do the best I can for this student body. Feel free to email me with any questions, and I hope you all have a great semester!

252 views1 comment