Campus Safety report: Mar. 1-7

Campus Safety Report

March 1 - 7, 2021

Provided by Ross Stout.

Assault

March 1, 11:00 a.m. (Off Campus / Capitol and Chemeketa St.): Campus Safety received a call from a student reporting that they were assaulted off campus by two individuals. The descriptions of the two individuals involved are as follows:

• Individual 1: Male who appeared to be White, 5’6 big build, long, curly blond hair and facial hair, wearing a gray V-neck shirt, black snow hat and something tied around his waist.

• Individual 2: Male who appeared to be White, 5’11”, thin build, long and thin brown hair, wearing a button-down shirt and a snow hat.

The student is physically okay and reported the incident to the Salem Police and Campus Safety. If you have any information about this incident please contact Campus Safety at (503) 370-6911 or the Salem Police at (503) 588-6123.

Campus Safety is available for walking escorts across campus as well as rides as needed, 24/7, when the destination is within a few blocks of campus.

For destinations further from campus: Safe Ride is a ride program developed years ago by ASWU that has become a program operated by Campus Safety in partnership with Willamette Valley Yellow Cab. This program has, in the past, allowed students to call Yellow Cab and have the ride billed to their student account. Because of the extraordinary circumstances this year, Willamette will cover the cost of the cab ride. In order to make sure that this program can be sustained through the end of the semester, we encourage you to limit use of this program for times you are traveling solo to a destination within the immediate Salem area.

To use Safe Ride:

• Call Yellow Cab at (503)-362-241.

• Tell the dispatcher you are using SAFE RIDE.

• Show the driver your valid Compass Card. The driver will enter your name and ID number on a SAFE RIDE form.

• When you arrive, fill out the bottom portion of the form, sign it, and return it to the driver.

Emergency Medical Aid

March 4, 7:55 a.m. (Hatfield Library): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual experiencing back pain in need of medical assistance. An officer responded and evaluated the individual and paramedics were contacted. The individual was then transported to the hospital.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

March 1, 2:35 a.m. (Smullin Hall): Campus Safety received a call from an employee reporting an individual attempting to get in the building. An officer responded and searched the area, but could not locate anyone outside the building. The staff members inside were escorted from the building to their next destination.

March 2, 11:00 a.m. (Botanical Gardens): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual passing through the garden area. An officer responded and searched the surrounding areas, but the individual had already left campus.

March 2, 2:51 p.m. (Jackson Plaza): Campus Safety received a call reporting multiple middle school aged students passing through campus. An officer responded and made contact with the group and they then left campus.

March 2, 7:21 p.m. (Pelton Theatre): Campus Safety received a call reporting individuals on BMX bikes harassing students. An officer responded, but the individuals fled as soon as they saw the officer approached them.

March 3, 9:59 a.m. (Law School): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual smoking and wrapped in a blanket passing through campus. An officer responded and searched the surrounding areas, but the individual had already left.

March 3, 11:14 p.m. (Doney Hall): While on patrol, an officer encountered an individual passing through campus. The officer made contact with the individual and was informed that the campus is closed to visitors. The individual was then escorted off campus.

March 6, 4:05 p.m. (Law School): While on patrol, an officer encountered an individual passing through campus who refused to leave after being informed that the campus is closed to visitors. Salem Police was then contacted but the individual left the area as police approached. The individual was observed again near Olin and police were once again contacted. The individual left before the police arrived, but was later apprehended off campus.

March 6, 8:10 p.m. (Ford Hall): Campus Safety received a call reporting a transient had followed a student into the building. An officer responded and made contact with the individual who thought the building was open to the public. The individual was informed the campus is closed to visitors and the individual left campus.

March 7, 5:05 p.m. (Quad): While on patrol, an officer encountered a group of individuals without masks on. The officer made contact with the individuals and informed them that the campus was closed to visitors.