Campus Safety Report March 25 -March 31

Provided by Ross Stout

Director of Campus Safety

The Campus Safety report is published as it's received, without edits by Collegian staff

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Burglary

March 30, 7:00 a.m. (Grounds Building): Campus Safety was contacted by a Grounds employee after they noticed their office window had been pried open. The employee reported that their rain gear had been stolen.

Criminal Mischief

March 26, 12:40 p.m. (Kaneko Commons): Campus Safety received a call from a student reporting that their vehicle and two other vehicles in the lot had been vandalized. An officer responded and took photos of the damage and a report was made. The student and others involved were contacted and were also encouraged to report the incident to Salem PD and their insurance company.

Emergency Medical Aide

March 29, 3:30 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call from a student requesting medical assistance due to food poisoning. The on-call area coordinator was contacted and WEMS was requested to also evaluate the student. It was determined that the student could be left in their own care and did not need further medical assistance.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

March 25, 2022, 1:55 a.m. (Southwood Hall): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual screaming in the area. Officers attempted to make contact with the screaming individual, who was very agitated. The individual escalated their aggression when Campus Safety officers attempted to make contact and Salem Police was contacted to remove the individual from campus.

March 27, 12:54 p.m. (University Apartments Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual in the lot checking doors and hitting vehicles. An officer responded and found an individual placing fliers on vehicles. The individual was removed from campus.

March 28, 3:15 a.m. (University Center): While on patrol, an officer encountered an individual loitering near the building. The individual was asked to leave campus and was compliant.

March 28, 8:00 a.m. (The Quad): Campus Safety received calls reporting an individual on a bicycle shooting off fireworks as they rode through campus. Officers responded and searched the area, but could not locate the individual still on campus.

March 28, 3:28 p.m. (Rogers Music Center): Campus Safety received a call from an employee reporting an individual camped in front of the building using an exterior power outlet. An officer responded and made contact with the individual, who was then asked to leave.

March 28, 8:10 p.m. (University Apartments Parking Lot): While on patrol, an officer encountered an individual loitering around various parts of campus. The officer made contact with the individual, who then began to flee. The officer lost sight of the individual but later found them by the Museum of Art. The officer made contact with the individual, informing them that the area is private property and requested they leave.

March 29, 5:30 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered an individual camped near the building. The officer made contact with the individual and requested that they relocate off campus.

March 29, 10:55 a.m. (University Center): Campus Safety received a call from Bistro staff reporting an individual who entered the Bistro and was talking with students is now outside yelling. Officers responded and found the individual and escorted them off campus.

March 30, 9:51 a.m. (Lausanne Hall): Campus Safety received a report of a plastic bag with an unknown substance inside found in a restroom. An officer responded and removed the bag and the item was disposed of.

March 31, 7:01 a.m. (Lee House): Campus Safety received a call from a student stating they were approached by an unknown individual who briefly talked to them and then walked away. An officer responded to the area and searched the surrounding area to ensure the individual was not still on campus property.

Theft

March 31, 3:30 p.m. (Montag): Campus Safety received a call from Outdoor Program staff reporting that two bicycles were missing from their storage area. Officers and maintenance personnel responded and the door mechanism was examined. Outdoor program staff was able to provide bicycle information and a report was filed.