Campus Safety report: Sept. 10 - 16

Updated: Nov 18, 2021

Provided by Ross Stout

Director of Campus Safety

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz.

Fire

September 14, 2:57 p.m. (Lee House): A student called to report a fire occurred while they were using the microwave. The student put out the fire with a fire extinguisher. Officer responded to confirm the fire is out and make note of any damage.

Policy Violation

September 11, 12:34 p.m. (University Apartments): Campus Safety received a noise complaint, an officer responded and spoke to the individuals causing the noise. The residents stated they would comply.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

September 13, 4:20 a.m. (York House): Campus received a call of an unknown individual sleeping on campus, an officer responded and asked the person to leave campus.

September 12, 1:06 p.m. (Collins Science): A student reported to Campus Safety about an unknown individual standing outside Collins, an officer responded, but did could not locate the individual.

September 12, 6:45 p.m. (Atkinson GSM): An officer on patrol observed an unknown individual sitting at one of the door entrances. They were asked to leave and they complied.

September 13, 6:38 p.m. (Sparks Field): A student observed an unknown individual who appeared to be carrying the back tire of a bike. He noted that the bike was missing its back tire. An officer responded and confirmed that the tire was not from a bike on campus.

September 13, 6:54 p.m. (Skybridge): Received a call of someone screaming near the bridge. An officer responded but could not locate the individual.

September 14, 6:41 a.m. (Cascadia Hall): A student reported an individual changing clothes outside of the residence’s main entrance. An officer responded and made contact with the unknown individual. The officer requested they leave and the individual complied.

September 14, 7:08 a.m. (Atkinson Annexl): A student reported an individual sleeping outside the south entrance. An officer responded and escorted the individual off campus.

September 14, 11:37 a.m. (University Apartments): Received a report of unknown individuals digging through the trash cans. An officer responded and made contact with the individuals. They asked them to leave the campus and they complied.

September 14, 11:47 a.m. (Sparks Center): Received a call about an individual wandering in Sparks and tried to access the basketball court. An officer responded, but found the individual already leving campus.

September 14, 2:33 p.m. (Art Building): A student reported an individual sleeping in front of the building. An officer responded and escorted the individual off campus.

September 15, 10:30 a.m. (University Services): An unknown individual was observed peeking into the windows of the building. An officer responded and escorted the individual off campus.

September 15, 8:18 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): An individual was observed requesting rides. An officer made contact and escorted the individual off campus.

September 16, 7:26 a.m. (Eaton Hall): An officer observed an individual on the north side of Eaton. The person was screaming. The officer escorted the person off campus

September 16, 12:05 p.m. (Sparks Center): Received a call reporting an individual climbing the Sparks Field fence, an officer responded but could not locate the individual.

September 16, 10:29 p.m. (Kaneko Commons): Received a call about someone screaming by the Amtrak station near Kaneko A-wing. An officer responded, but did not locate the individual.

Theft

September 10, 4:40 p.m. (Montag Center): A student reported their bike stolen from the bike shop. An officer responded, took a report and also encouraged the student to contact Salem Police to file a report.

September 12, 6:15 p.m. (Montag Center): Students reported a bike stolen from the bike storage. Officers responded and also encouraged the students to file a report with Salem Police.

September 13, 7:52 p.m. (Ford Hall:) A student reported their bike tire was stolen.

September 13, 7:47 p.m. (Jackson Plaza): A student reported their backpack stolen