• Skeet Starr, Sports Editor

Fast Break Sports Report Feb. 20

Graphic by Carolyn Vazquez

Hello, Bearcat Fan! It’s crunch time. Phones are ringing in the quiet night, pens are being uncapped, ‘Cats are stirring in the darkness and sleep is hard to come by. We are on the doorstep of history. Where will you be?

Women’s Basketball plowed through the Bruins (71-55) and the Pios (71-43) to seize the regular season title for the first time since 1996. They are now two games away from making further history by earning their first-ever DIII conference tournament title. Each game will be played at home.

Men’s Basketball fought like cornered animals to secure two victories over George Fox (94-83) and Lewis & Clark (78-76). For their heroics, which included a Josiah Frank (‘25) buzzer-beater to defeat the Pios, the men tied for third place in the conference. However, tie-breaking stipulations have left them out of the tournament. 

Mason McMillin (‘27) won the 60m hurdles at the George Fox Invitational Track and Field meet.

Softball conceded nine runs in five innings to Bushnell. They kept the rematch close but ultimately came home 0-2 to start the preseason. 

Women’s Tennis was thoroughly swept by Cal Lutheran (0-9) but handed Bellevue an equal fate later in the week. It seems The Men read last edition’s hurtful comment because after falling to the Kingsmen (2-7), they also took their frustrations out on an unsuspecting Bellevue side (8-1). 

Baseball & Lacrosse begin their seasons this week.

In the world of sport: Illia “The Matador” Topuria sent Alexander Volkanovski back down under by way of a venomous overhand right, and Damien Lillard was named MVP of the NBA all-star game. Very neat, Dame!

Consider in the coming weeks: Has your world been shepherded into a few square blocks of campus by forces beyond your control and processes you will never live to understand, and alternatively, what are you up to this Friday night?