Jett's Sport Report: Issue 5

Updated: Nov 28, 2022

Jett Star

Sports Editor

Three action images of Blitz the Bearcat, one with a football, one with a soccer ball, and one with a basketball, in cardinal and gold watercolor
Art by Minna Zhou

Men’s Soccer went to Chicago to compete in the NCAA tournament this weekend. They won the first round for the first time in the school’s history, beating University of Wisconsin Platteville 3-1. Goals came from Jett Starr, Drew Alexander, and Pierce Gallaway. On Sunday, the team lost to University of Chicago 4-1 to end their season. The Bearcats had more shots on goal than University of Chicago, beating them 6-5, which is some proof that the scoreline didn’t exactly represent the game. The lone goal came from Julian Rivas-Delgado, which was a nice consolation. The Bearcats ended their season with a record of 14-3-3 and a Northwest Conference Title.

Football had a chance to get their first conference win since 2016 as both the Bearcats and University of Puget Sound entered their game on Saturday with no wins. Unfortunately, they fell 20-26. Camden Dirnberger scored two field goals, while Justin Genovia and Dominic Corado both scored touchdowns. Maybe next year they will find their win.

Triathlon competed in the Women’s Collegiate Championship in Tempe, Arizona this weekend. Willamette took 8th place in the competition, with Ella Isaacson leading the team in 28th place and Aubrey Tuttle right behind her in 30th.

Women’s Basketball beat Claremont Mudd Scripps 76-59 on Friday. Carolyn Ho got 15 points and Kaitlyn Imai got 17. The Bearcats kept that momentum rolling on Monday as they beat Warner Pacific 67-43. Sammi Riggs led the team with 14 points with Megan “the Meg Dawg” River right behind her with 11. This puts them at 2-0 on the season and my pick as the Bearcat team to watch through the winter.

Men’s Basketball smacked Portland Bible College 85-41. Jonathan Watts and Jack Boydell combined for 30 points. Those two are putting together a string of impressive individual performances.

Women’s Cross Country got 16th in the regional championship meet run this weekend. Zoe Heino led the team with a time of 23:25.20 in the 6-kilometer. That is so fast and so far to run!

Men’s Cross Country got 19th in the regional championship meet. Will Hennum led the team with a time of 26:14.70 in the 8-kilometer. Again, so far to run and so fast.