Campus Safety Report Feb. 24- Mar. 9

Provided by Campus Safety

The Campus Safety Report is published as received, without edits by Collegian Staff.

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Suspicious Activity/Persons

February 24, 2023, 1:48 p.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a call from a student reporting that their vehicle had been vandalized while parked in the parking lot. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and observed an orange paintball splatter on the driver’s side door. Photos of the vehicle were taken and a report was filed. The student was able to remove the paint from their vehicle.

February 28, 2023, 5:33 p.m. (Sparks Center): Campus Safety received a call that there was a suspicious individual inside the women’s restroom at the Sparks Center. The officer arrived on scene and located the individual, who was cooperative at first and then began to appear agitated and confrontational. The officer informed the individual that the police had been called, which prompted the individual to leave the premises.

March 1, 2023, 11:40 p.m. (Oak St. Storage): On routine patrol, a Campus Safety officer observed an encampment at the Oak St storage area with two individuals inside. When the officer attempted to make contact with the individuals, they were non responsive. Salem PD was called for assistance, and the Campus Safety officer requested that the individuals be charged for trespassing. As Salem PD arrived on scene, one of the individuals fled the premises on their bicycle and the other individual was arrested for trespassing.

March 3, 2023, 5:44 p.m. (Lausanne Hall): A Campus Safety officer received a phone call from Salem Health security reporting that an individual they had been having problems with was headed toward the Willamette campus. The officer located the individual and observed them approach the main entrance of York house where they banged on the glass and attempted to pull the door open. The officer informed them that they were on private property and that they needed to leave. The individual then proceeded to the driveway entrance to Lausanne Hall and pulled down their pants, before going to the gazebo and sitting down. Salem PD was contacted, and the individual was arrested for trespassing.

March 5, 2023, 1:03 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): A Campus Safety officer received a phone call from a student who reported a suspicious individual who had asked to be let into Kaneko Commons. The student reported that the individual had crossed the skybridge and had been trapped inside the courtyard, where someone had let them into the lobby of Kaneko. The officer arrived on scene and informed them that they needed to leave the property. The individual stated that they were feeling sick and could not move, and requested that the officer call an ambulance. EMTs arrived on scene, however the individual refused medical care and transport. The officer informed the individual that they needed to leave the property, to which they complied.

March 6, 2023, 3:20 p.m. (Quad): Campus Safety received a call that an individual was causing a disturbance on campus by singing loudly, staggering, and waving a tree branch. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and located the individual, who eventually left the premises.

March 7, 2023, 8:40 p.m. (Kaneko Commons): Campus Safety received a call from a Willamette community member reporting individuals who were going back and forth over the Kaneko skybridge. A Campus Safety officer arrived on scene and located a tent set up under the skybridge with individuals inside. The officer informed the individuals that they were on private property and needed to leave, to which the individuals complied.

Theft

Over the last two weeks, numerous incidents of thefts from vehicles primarily parked in the Matthews parking lot were reported to Campus Safety. The individuals responsible for these thefts were apprehended by Salem PD on March 5, 2023, and property confiscated from the perpetrators was returned to Campus Safety to be distributed to the respective owners.

March 6, 2023, 8:49 a.m. (Rogers Music Center): A student called Campus Safety to report that they had witnessed their bicycle pump being stolen. The student reported that they had been sitting on the Quad when they noticed an individual on a BMX bike approach the bike rack near Rogers where their bicycle was located and ride away with their bicycle pump.