Campus Safety Report Feb. 24 - March 02

Provided by Ross Stout

Director of Campus Safety

The Campus Safety Report is published as it's received, without edits by Collegian staff.

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Burglary, Attempted

February 24, 9:08 a.m. (University Center): Campus Safety received a call from an employee after they noticed pry marks on the door they were trying to open on the third floor of the building. An officer responded and took photos of the damage for a report and also noticed damage to another door down the hall. A work order was created to have the doors repaired and officers were advised to patrol the building regularly due to the building being unlocked.

Emergency Medical Aid

February 26, 2:06 a.m. (Off Campus): Campus Safety received a request for an escort from students requesting a ride back to campus. An officer responded and met with the students who had an injured friend with them. The students were then escorted to the ER.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

February 24, 10:30 a.m. (University Apartments Parking Lot): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered an individual passing through campus yelling loudly and talking to themselves. The officer ensured that they left campus.

February 24, 2:02 p.m. (The Quad): Campus Safety received a call reporting skateboarders on campus doing tricks off stairs and ledges. An officer met with the individuals and requested they leave campus. The individuals left but later returned. The officer again assured that they left campus.

February 25, 7:57 a.m. (Eaton Hall): While on patrol, an officer encountered an individual smoking on campus. The individual was informed of the University smoking policy and politely complied.

February 25, 12:37 p.m. (University Services Building): While on patrol, an officer noticed an individual who was removed from the UC the day prior headed towards campus. The officer contacted the individual and trespassed them from campus.

February 26, 10:50 a.m. (Northwood Hall): Campus Safety received a call reporting a suspicious individual on campus carrying a hunting knife and guitar walking around the area. Officers responded and found the individual and escorted them off campus property.

February 26, 11:08 a.m. (University Apartments): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual digging in the trash can. An officer responded and met with the individual who then was requested to leave campus. The individual complied.

February 26, 11:17 a.m. (University Services Building): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered an individual pushing a cart through campus. The officer observed the individual and ensured they kept moving and left campus.

February 26, 12:07 p.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): An officer encountered an individual carrying various bags passing through campus. The individual then crossed the street heading off campus.

February 26, 3:07 p.m. (Southwood): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered an individual passing through campus looking in the bushes. An officer attempted to make contact with the individual, but they fled.

February 27, 5:54 pm. (Kaneko Commons): Campus Safety received a call from students reporting vehicles in the lot could have possibly been tampered with. Students confirmed that their vehicle gas tank door was found ajar.

February 28, 12:50 a.m. (Micah Building): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered an individual looking into the building windows. The individual was told to leave the area and complied.

February 28, 3:30 a.m. (Eaton Hall): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer found a window screen removed from one of the windows on the building. The officer searched the building and surveyed the windows and found no evidence of tampering.

February 28, 7:41 a.m. (University Apartments): Campus Safety received a call from a student who found an insect in their room. An officer responded and removed the insect.

February 28, 12:35 p.m. (Lausanne Hall): Campus Safety received a call reporting the odor of marijuana in the hall. An officer responded and checked with the residents there, but could not determine the origin. The on-call area coordinator was informed of the activities in the hall.

February 28, 6:02 p.m. (Shepard Lot): While on patrol, an officer encountered an individual sleeping in an alcove in the area. The officer made contact with the individual and requested that they leave campus.

February 28, 6:53 p.m. (Goudy Commons): Campus Safety received a call reporting an unknown individual in front of the building. Officers responded and found the individual they made contact with at Shepard earlier. The individual was given directions and escorted off campus.

March 1, 11:00 a.m. (University Center): Campus Safety received a call from the Mail Center reporting an individual with a bat walking by the UC hitting pillars as they passed. An officer responded and attempted to locate the individual in the area. The individual was then seen heading downtown by another officer.

March 1, 12:59 p.m. (Sparks Center): Campus Safety received multiple calls on an individual who was sitting in front of Sparks with an open alcohol container and talking to students. An officer responded and searched the area and surrounding areas, but the individual had left.

March 1, 2:41 p.m. (University Center): While viewing security cameras, Campus Safety noticed an individual attempting to steal parts from a student's bike. The Mail Center was contacted and assisted by having an employee go out and startle the individual while an officer arrived on scene. The individual then fled with the officer in pursuit. The individual fled off campus. The owner was contacted regarding the incident with their bicycle.

March 1, 7:25 p.m. (Doney Hall): Campus Safety received a call from a student after having an interaction with an unknown individual on campus making suggestive comments and hand gestures to them. Officers responded and searched the area and surrounding areas but could not locate the individual. Campus Safety later received another call reporting the individual and was able to locate the individual. The individual was removed from campus.

March 1, 10:30 (University Center): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered an individual passing through campus on a bike. The officer then followed the individual to make sure they left campus. The officer then encountered another individual in the area searching the trash can and checking the doors on the building. The individual was removed from campus.

March 1, 11:17 p.m. (Matthews Hall): While responding to a lockout, a Campus Safety officer noticed an individual standing around near one of the entrances of the building. The individual identified as not being a student and was asked to leave campus.

March 2, 9:32 a.m. (Oak Street): Campus Safety was contacted by Maintenance after they found a hole cut in the fence surrounding the property. A work order was created to request repair and a report was filed.

Theft

February 28, 10:38 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): While on patrol, parking enforcement encountered a Toyota in the lot that appeared to be abandoned. The Salem Police Department was contacted and it was determined that the vehicle was flagged as stolen. Salem Police called a tow company to remove the vehicle from campus.