Campus Safety Report March 18- March 24

Provided by Ross Stout

Director of Campus Safety

The Campus Safety Report is published as received without edits by Collegian staff.

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Emergency Medical Aide

March 22, 2022, 1:36 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): An officer received a call from a student requesting medical attention for a cut on their finger. An officer responded and transported the student and their friend to the ER.

March 24, 2022, 2:15 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): An officer received a call from a student requesting medical assistance for another student possible alcohol poisoning. The officer responded met with the student. The officer determined that the student was coherent and did not need additional medical assistance. The officer offered the student transport to Salem Health but the student declined. The officer provided transport back to the student’s residence hall.

Criminal Mischief

March 21, 2022, 10:17 a.m. (Ford Hall): A staff member called Campus Safety to report that the women’s restroom sign on the 2nd floor had been stolen and left damage on the wall. The caller also reported that one of the tables had been written on with a red marker. Additionally, wine bottles and hard seltzers were found in the recycling bin in Ford 204.

March 22, 2022, 4:38 p.m. (Grounds Building): The Grounds Department contacted Campus Safety to report an attempted break-in to the West side garage door. The individuals seemed to have attempted to use pry bars to open the door, damaging and bending the strike plate.

March 23, 2022, 5:00 p.m. (University Services Annex): A staff member called to report graffiti that was drawn on the NW side of the building.

March 24, 2022 1:54 a.m. (University Apartments): An officer received a call from a student reporting that two unidentified individuals threw eggs at their window on the 5th floor, returned to their vehicle, and drove away. Officers respond and the student let the officers into their room so they could take pictures of the window..

Suspicious Activity/Persons

March 18, 2022, 8:02 a.m. (Southwood Hall): Campus Safety received a call from a staff member reporting an individual with a red blanket was rummaging through the garbage near the building. An officer responded but was not able to locate the individual.

March 20, 2022, 12:40 p.m. (University Apartments): Campus Safety received two calls about an individual who was yelling inside of the University Apartments.. The individual reportedly gained access to the building when a student exited. An officer located the individual on the first floor and advised them that they were trespassing on private property. The individual ran off campus southbound toward the Hospital.

March 21, 2022, 9:27 a.m. (Smullin Hall): Campus Safety received a call from an employee reporting an individual who had been seen on campus previously during Bearcat Days was back on campus. An officer made contact with the individual at the Star Trees. The individual left campus without further incident.

March 21, 2022, 9:37 a.m. (Collins Science): Campus Safety received a call from an employee who reported that an individual they did not recognize was wandering around inside of the building. An officer responded but wasn't able to locate the individual.

March 21, 2022, 1:17 p.m. (Martha Springer Botanical Gardens): An officer made contact with an individual in the garden area and after walking around the parking lot twice, left campus heading toward 12th Street..

March 21, 2022, 10:51 p.m. (Belknap Hall): While on patrol, two officers observed a vehicle pulling into the parking lot. When one of the officers attempted to make contact, the individual drove away at high speed. The officers continued to look for the individual but could not locate the vehicle.

March 22, 2022, 12:27 a.m. (Kaneko Commons): An officer received a call that an individual was passed out in the hallway in Kaneko Commons. Two officers responded to assess the situation. The individual was determined to be a student and was escorted back to their room.

March 22, 2022, 1:07 a.m. (York House): An officer received a call from a student reporting an individual was lying on the ground near the York House entrance on Winter St. The officer responded and made contact with the individual, who complied with the officer’s request to leave the property.

March 22, 2022, 1:40 p.m. (Gatke Hall): While on patrol, an officer made contact with an individual sitting on the steps of Gatke Hall. The individual left the steps and moved onto the sidewalk.

March 23, 2022, 3:10 p.m. (Sparks Center): An officer received a call from an employee reporting juveniles on bicycles riding aggressively. The officer encountered two individuals and explained that they were on private property and they were endangering themselves and others. They were cooperative and started to leave, but later they were reported to be near Olin attempting to do various bicycle tricks. The officer reiterated the safety concerns, the individuals became belligerent and started using profane language. The individuals then left the property and were last seen traveling west on Ferry Street.

March 24, 2022, 8:37 a.m. (Goudy Commons): An officer made contact with an individual who was jumping the steps near Goudy doing bicycle tricks . The individual left campus when they saw the officer.

March 24, 2022, 5:50 p.m. (TIUA Parking Lot): An officer received a call from a student reporting a suspicious individual in the parking lot. When the officer arrived on the scene, the individual was trying to open doors between wings of the building. The individual was told to leave the property and was cooperative, leaving toward 12th Street.