Campus Safety Report March 3 - March 10

Provided by Ross Stout

Director of Campus Safety

The Campus Safety Report is published as it's received, without edits by Collegian staff.

Graphic by Maizy Goerlitz

Emergency Medical Aid

March 7, 12:44 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call from a student requesting a ride to the hospital. A Campus Safety officer responded and transported the student.

March 7, 1:30 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): Non-emergency transport to the hospital was requested for a student. Salem fire and paramedics responded to the call and transported the student.

March 10, 9:22 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call from a Facilitiesemployee reporting an employee was not feeling well and experiencing numbness in their body. An officer responded and the employee was transported to the ER for further evaluation.

March 10, 9:05 p.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call requesting medical assistance for a student. WEMS responded with Campus Safety and evaluated the student.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

March 3, 3:00 a.m. (Sparks Center): Campus Safety received a call from an employee reporting an individual looking through the windows in the pool area. A Campus Safety officer located the individual and directed them off campus.

March 3, 7:45 a.m. (Atkinson Annex): Campus Safety received a call from an employee after they encountered an individual sleeping at the entrance of the building. Officers responded and the individual woke up and left campus.

March 3, 12:36 p.m. (Goudy Commons): Campus Safety received a call from an employee reporting an individual talking to themselves near the stream. An officer responded and searched the area and surrounding areas, but could not locate the individual on campus.

March 3, 3:19 p.m. (Winter Street): While on patrol, A Campus Safety officer encountered an individual on campus soliciting students for signatures without permission. The individual was escorted off campus.

March 4, 1:59 p.m. (Law School): Campus Safety received a call from Law school employee reporting that they removed an unknown individual from the building. The individual complied and drove off campus. The employee was thanked and asked to call Campus Safety the next time they see the individual again.

March 4, 4:33 p.m. (Atkinson GSM): Campus Safety received a call from an employee reporting a message regarding self harm was written on a white board in a classroom. Photos of the note were taken and Bishop Wellness were notified.

March 5, 11:18 p.m. (Hatfield Fountain): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual trying to sell a bike to students passing by. An officer responded, but found the individual riding away on the bike off campus.

March 6, 4:22 p.m. (Botanical Gardens): Campus Safety received a call reporting an unknown individual passing through campus and walking a bike. The caller then reported the individual was leaving campus. A Campus Safety officer patrolled the area and made sure the individual kept moving along.

March 7, 10:50 a.m. (York House): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered a group of individuals loitering around the building and the bike racks near the law school. An officer made contact with the individuals and they proceeded off campus. The officer followed the individuals off and made sure they did not return to the area.

March 7, 6:06 p.m. (McCulloch Stadium): Campus Safety received a call from a student reporting an individual had removed their pants and undergarments in the parking lot. The Salem Police Department was contacted and officers made contact with the individual and escorted them off property.

March 7, 7:15 p.m. (Shepard Hall): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer found an exterior entrance door propped open. The officer searched inside for anyone suspicious and found staff in the building. The staff members were reminded not to prop doors open due to the rising crime and unknown individuals around the campus area.

March 7, 10:05 p.m. (Law School): Campus Safety received a call reporting a group of individuals smoking near the stream. An officer responded and the individuals were informed of the University’s no smoking policy. The individuals then left.

March 7, 10:27 p.m. (Doney Hall): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered two individuals passing through campus on bikes with bolt cutters visible. The officer attempted to make contact with the individuals, but they began to flee towards off campus property.

March 8 12:08 a.m. (Skybridge): Campus Safety received a call from a student reporting they were being followed by an unknown individual as they were going to their residence. Officers located the individual and trespassed them from campus. Salem Police was also contacted to report the individual. Officers also noted making contact with the individual last week when it was reported that the individual was making suggestive comments and hand gestures towards students and also acting as if deaf. The individual was removed from campus and Campus Safety officers and Salem Police patrolled the area making sure the individual did not remain in the area. The individual was described as being a male adult in their 20’s - 30’s with a thin build, beard, wearing a tan hat, plaid scarf, dark gray camouflage vest, gray sweatshirt, blue jeans, and black Converse style shoes. Individuals are asked to please contact Campus Safety if this individual is seen again on campus.

March 8, 10:02 a.m (Eaton Hall): Campus Safety received a call from an employee reporting posters littered throughout the rose garden. An officer removed the posters from the area.

March 8, 11:12 a.m. (Lee House): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered an individual camped out in front of the building. The officer made contact with the individual and the individual then left campus.

March 8, 11:37 a.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered an individual looking at cars in the lot. An officer made contact with the individual who then left campus.

March 8, 1:53 p.m. (Lausanne Hall): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual camped out in the lot in between Lausanne and Doney. An officer responded and located the individual and the individual was escorted off campus with their belongings.

March 8, 10:24 p.m. (Winter Street): While on patrol, a Campus Safety officer encountered an individual who was seen on campus following students earlier in the day and had been trespassed . Salem Police was contacted and officers searched the area for the individual, but could not locate them on campus or nearby.

March 9, 9:36 a.m. (14th Street): Campus Safety received a call from Salem Police reporting they were removing six different transient camps near/on campus property. A Campus Safety officer and a Groundskeeper responded and assisted the City of Salem in cleaning the areas on campus property.

March 9, 12:27 p.m. (University Apartment Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual smoking near the building. A Campus Safety officer responded and found the individual was nowl off campus.

March 9, 12:44 p.m. (Ford Hall): Campus Safety received a call from an employee reporting an individual on a bike looking at bikes locked on the rack. The individual then began to flee once they saw the employee. A Campus Safety officer also responded and patrolled the area and surrounding areas. The individual was later seen off campus at the train station.

March 9, 1:02 p.m. (Ford Hall): Campus Safety received a call from an employee reporting finding a message regarding self harm was written on a white board. This is the second message the staff member has encountered. Bishop Wellness was contacted and WU Talk / information was left in the area in hopes the individual will reach out.

March 9, 11:05 p.m. (Atkinson Annex): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual who was very vague about what they were doing on campus. A Campus Safety officer responded and the individual was escorted off campus.

Theft

March 6, 9:06 p.m. (Sparks Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a report from a student after they found their catalytic converter had been stolen. A Campus Safety officer met with the student and took photos and a report was filed. The student was also encouraged to contact the Salem Police Department to report the theft.