Campus Safety report: Sept. 6 to 13

Updated: Oct 7, 2020

Campus Safety Report

September 06-13, 2020

Provided by Director of Campus Safety Ross Stout.

Criminal Mischief

September 13, 3:30 a.m. (Ford Hall): While on patrol, an officer witnessed an unknown individual attempt to steal a bicycle from the bike rack. Officers responded to the area and stopped the individual but the individual ended up running. Salem Police were then contacted and the officers provided a description of the individual.

September 13 12:30 p.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a call from a student reporting the back window of their vehicle had been smashed. An officer responded and met with the student who showed them the broken window and reported nothing missing from the vehicle. A report was filed and the student was also encouraged to make a report with Salem Police.

Emergency Medical Aid

September 6, 4:41 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call from a student requesting transport to the ER. An officer responded and transported the student. The on-call area coordinator was also notified.

September 7, 1:16 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call from an RA requesting a transport for a student to the hospital. An officer responded and transported the student. The on-call area coordinator was also notified.

September 9, 12:49 a.m. (In a Campus Residence): Campus Safety received a call reporting a student had fainted. An officer responded and evaluated the student. The student requested a ride to the hospital and the officer transported the student.

Harassment

September 7, 5:16 p.m. (Ford Hall): Campus Safety received a call from a student who reported being chased by protesters from the Capitol. The student was able to make it back safely to their residence hall safety. A Campus Safety officer responded to check on the student along with Salem Police to gather more information. The student was informed to contact Salem Police if they would like to file a report.

Suspicious Activity/Persons

September 6, 8:00 p.m. (Lausanne Hall): Campus Safety received a call reporting two individuals smoking on the balcony. An officer responded and searched the area, but could not locate anyone.

September 7, 7:44 a.m. (Matthews Parking Lot): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual yelling and screaming. An officer responded and searched the area and saw the individual leave as the officer approached.

September 7, 12:28 p.m. (Law School): Campus Safety received a call reporting an individual with no shirt on acting erratically. An officer responded and met with the individual who then quickly left campus.

September 7, 4:55 p.m. (Goudy Commons): Campus Safety received a call reporting individuals on bikes and scooters doing tricks in front of the building. An officer responded and met with the individuals who were informed that the campus is closed to visitors. The officer escorted the individuals off campus.

September 7, 11:30 p.m. (Smith Auditorium): While on patrol, an officer encountered a suspicious individual passing through campus. The individual was informed the campus is closed to visitors and was advised to leave the campus.

September 8 , 2:02 p.m. (University Center): Campus Safety was contacted after an employee saw an unknown individual enter the Bistro. An officer responded and checked inside the building and the surrounding area, but was unable to locate anyone.

September 8, 2:08 p.m. (University Center): While on patrol, an officer encountered a suspicious individual carrying black bags passing through campus. The officer kept visual contact on the individual until they were off campus.

September 10, 12:19 p.m. (Botanical Gardens): While on patrol, an officer encountered two individuals sitting in the garden. The individuals were reminded the campus is closed to visitors and they promptly left.

September 10, 12:59 p.m. (12th Street): While on patrol an officer, reported encountering a suspicious individual passing through campus. The officer kept visual contact on the individual until they left campus.

September 10, 3:54 p.m. (Law School): Campus Safety received a call reporting a suspicious individual sitting on the steps outside the building. An officer responded and searched the area and surrounding areas, but was unable to locate anyone in the area.

September 12, 11:00 p.m. (University Center): While on patrol, an officer encountered a suspicious individuals in the area. The officer met with the two individuals and informed them the campus is closed to visitors. The individuals refused to leave campus, but quickly left when the officer called Salem Police to have them arrested for trespassing.