• Skeet Starr, Sports Editor

Fast Break Sports Report April 16

Graphic by Carolyn Vazquez.

Hello, Bearcat Fan! A new Collegian executive staff has been hired and soon I myself will face yet another editorial hiring period. Please, loyal reader, to ensure my continued stewardship of the sports section, comment on this article: “Hi, I’m very charming and respectable, but a false step in the case of sports hiring may cause me to lash out and/or make a scene.” Let’s go to the news!

Women’s Soccer staked their flag in the center of Corban U’s field and now owns the rights to all of Salem (2-1). NCAA on top!

In their first game under Matt Corti-Young, Men’s Soccer headed south to Corvallis to face Oregon State. The Beavs, who took third in the last DI national tournament, defeated the ‘Cats 3-0. 

Lacrosse pillaged Puget Sound (20-3). 

Baseball shipped off to the Midwest to take on North Central College and Concordia Chicago. They grabbed two wins of a possible four.

Men’s Golf won the NWC Spring Classic, a massive result as they head to the conference tournament. 

Women’s Golf took seventh at the NWC Spring Classic, then defeated Linfield by a single stroke at the Willamette dual meet. On both accounts, Linfield will again be forced to lay awake at night, dreaming in vain of surpassing our glorious institution. 

Scores are making their way in for Tennis’ last match-up of the year. The Bruins will be a nearly insurmountable challenge for them.

Softball stands on the verge of snatching two wins of three from No. 3 George Fox as of Sunday afternoon. Can we expect a late-season surge?

Erica Snyder (‘26) snagged 8th at the NWC multi-event track and field championship. 

In the world of sport: At UFC 300 Max Holloway knocked out Justin Gaethje with one second on the board, Alex “Poatan” Pereira TKO’d Jamahal Hill in round one, UEFA Champions League quarters are a dead heat and I got a new Jermaine O’Neal Indiana Pacers jersey. Nice!

Consider in the coming weeks: Whatever happened to the Dolly Parton plaque which used to hang in Sparks, and alternatively, how much more of this are you going to put up with? I mean, seriously, what will it take? At some point, you have to back yourself ….

40 views1 comment