Students honor memory of Agustin-Paz at campus vigil

Ryleigh Norgrove

Staff writer

Saturday evening, students gathered in Jackson Plaza to honor the life of Abigail Agustin-Paz. 

A College of Liberal Arts student, Agustin-Paz was important to many on campus. She served as an Ohana leader, was active in Alianza and WU-CAUSA and was on the Willamette Events Board. She was deeply involved with Willamette Academy and worked on the Bistro staff; she touched many areas of the community. 

In an interview with the Statesman Journal, Lisa Landreman, vice president of student affairs and dean of students, said Agustin-Paz had many friends and was known for her kindness and warmth.

“We’re, as a community, in shock and anticipate this loss is going to be with us for some time," Landreman said. "We’re hoping to keep her memory and kindness alive."

"Being a first year college student is challenging, and being a first generation student, oldest sibling or coming from a diverse background might come with more individual challenges," she advised fellow students in a profile. "Remember that there will always be people and/or networks ready to support you, and to be patient and embrace the experiences you'll find yourself through."

Economics professor vents at class, quits job

Chrissy Ewald Staff writer Students in Econ 454 The Next System were shocked when their professor berated them for laziness and announced by email he was leaving the school, one week before the end of