Women’s soccer triumphs in home opener

Jack Kuyper

Sports editor

jlkuyper@willamette.edu

Sophomore Emma Blackburn takes the ball down the field in a match against Corban University. Photo: Sydney Groff.

Willamette University’s women’s soccer team defeated Corban University 5-1 in their first game of the season on Friday, Aug. 30 at Sparks Field. Junior Lacey Jones earned WU’s first goal by taking control of the ball 17 yards out on the right side of the penalty area, dribbling it up and unloading a shot at the top right corner of the goal net. Strong defensive play prevented further scoring in the first half, keeping the game in reach for both teams entering the final 45 minutes.

After halftime, the Bearcats came out determined and decisive on offense. Senior Shanna Keil scored WU’s second goal just 6:53 into the second half. After intercepting a pass 10 yards from Corban’s goal, Keil dribbled up the middle and shot the ball right into the center of the net. 

The score held at 2-0 all the way until the 70:40 mark. On a corner kick, the ball landed in front of first-year Jackie Gilroy, who took a shot that was quickly deflected by Corban goalkeeper Elizabeth Brock. The ball fell back to Gilroy, who tapped it into the near left goalpost to score the first goal of her career with the Bearcats. 

Just 42 seconds later, Keil scored her second goal of the game and the 18th goal of her career. Keil, moving across the penalty area towards the middle of the field, fired an 18-yard goal into the lower right quadrant of the net. Gilroy scored the Bearcats’ final goal of the day at 85:32. A scoring opportunity opened due to a defensive miscue between Brock and another Corban player. The defender tried to clear the ball away from the goal line, but Gilroy already had control of the ball about six yards from the left post and she shot it in with ease. The Warriors’ only goal was recorded with just 27 seconds left in the game after a foul was called on WU in the box. Vogelpohl took the resulting penalty kick and scored a goal for Corban in the upper right corner of the goal. 

WU outshot Corban 15-11 overall and 9-4 on goal. The possession rates were close, but the Bearcats held the edge at 52 percent to 48 percent. Senior Kristen Barclay started in goal and made two saves. She only played in goal for 45 minutes. Junior Grasiela Quevedo-Ramos replaced Barclay at halftime and recorded one save during 34:31 minutes of playing time. Sophomore Jordan Roue closed out the final 10:29. The team’s next match will take place this coming Friday, Sept. 6, on the road against the University of Redlands.